Sunday, July 25, 2010

Single-minded.

Today at work, a large group of high school age students were waiting around for an hour for a presentation. They were just sitting around everywhere.

I noticed two girls on the bench. They were discussing past relationships that they had, and complaining about other ones. I don't know why, but it hit me that the only thing that young people mostly care about and strive for, is relationships. Including myself. I'll be the first to say that its been an obstacle for me.

But it suddenly frustrated me that relationships have been my pursuit, and constantly on my mind. I'm sure its on a lot of young people's mind, because that's all our generation does...they live for dating and sex and relationships.

All I've done is strive for a relationship. Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction, or at least with the wrong motive.

i listened to a sermon yesterday. Matt C. said,

"In a relational pursuit of Jesus Christ, in a single-minded devotion to a relationship with Jesus Christ, not only is the Law fulfilled, but a greater ethic actually takes its place. Let’s say I am a single young man, single-mindedly devoted to Jesus Christ and I’ve got my eye open and in my crew a beautiful young woman enters the frame. We get to know each other, and it becomes evident that when I’m around this girl my affections are stirred for Jesus Christ because after all I am single-minded. My affections are stirred for Jesus Christ. Through prayer and conversation with this girl, I begin to sense that she is a part of God’s plan for my sanctification or she is a part of God’s plan to push me even more into the fullness of Jesus Christ."

Maybe what I'm doing wrong is not having a single-minded devotion for a relationship with Christ. I'm not going to strive for relationships anymore, just a single-minded one with Christ, and maybe through that, something else will happen. But whatever happens, I have a relationship with Him. And that's all I should be worried about, everything else will work out according to His plan and timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment